Thursday, May 2, 2013

My Work

To do the work I am given to do, I am going to need to do some homework. I am going to need to do some thinking and wondering and studying about my gifts and my talents. I am going to need to be sure that what I do with my hands actually comes from and nurtures my heart. I am going to have to examine its effects upon others and how it fits into the kingdom that has already come. And I am going to have to be clear about why I am doing it and my hopes and my dreams.
-Living Prayer by Robert Benson

We skip down the hallways of our youth, you and I, stopping now and then to catch our breath. And every now and then we catch something else. A glimpse of the future. Our future. A glimpse we caught when we came across a window suddenly flung open in front of us, its gossamer curtains lifted by the breeze redolent with the future, filling our lungs with refreshing air and our heart with hopeful dreams.
At that window we hear something like somebody calling our name, only in a language we can't quite understand, so we don't recognize who it is who is calling us or to where we are being called.
But we recognize the name
Even in a foreign language, names translate closely to the original. Whoever is calling us is calling us by our true name. Whispering to us a secret. Telling us who we are. And showing us what we will be doing with our lives if only we have eyes to see, the ears to hear, and the faith to follow.
-Windows of the Soul by Ken Gire

No comments:

Post a Comment